Chicago Deep Dish Pizza!
A very simple, yet delicious recipe! Fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced pepperoni, mild sausage, and mushrooms all covered in a wonderful pizza sauce!
Some would argue that this is not pizza, but I’m sure we can agree that it is very tasty! Enjoy this awesome Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Recipe! Make sure you share it with your friends!
3 and 1/4 cups flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 packet of active dry yeast
1 and 1/4 cups slightly warm water
1/4 cup melted butter
olive oil for coating
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup grated onions
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
one 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add grated onion, salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Brown for 5 minutes.
- Once browned, add garlic, tomatoes, and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until thickens up. About 30 minutes.
- Once thick set sauce aside until ready to be used.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl.
- mix ingredients
- Add warm water and a 1/4 cup melted butter to mixture.
- Slowly mix all ingredients until soft and slightly sticky/stretchy. ( If the dough is too hard, add a teaspoon of warm water. If the dough is too soft, add a tablespoon of flour.)
- Remove the dough from the bowl and form a ball.
- Place the dough into a bowl with about a TBS of olive oil. Roll dough so that all sides of the dough are coated with olive oil.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and set aside to rise in a warm environment for 1-2 hours or until double in size.
Build Your Pizza:
- Once the dough has risen, flour your work surface so your dough does not stick. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Place the dough into a cast iron skillet, pie plate, or a 9-inch cake pan. Form your crust up the sides.
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese. (due to longer cooking times cheese is placed on the bottom so it does not burn.)
- Next, add a layer of pepperoni, sausage, and mushrooms.
- Finally, cover all ingredients with your pizza sauce.
- Add additional toppings to the top of sauce if desired.
- Cook pizza for 20-28 minutes in a 425-degree oven.
- 5 minutes before the pizza is done, remove and add shredded mozzarella and fresh parmesan cheese to top. Place back into the oven to melt cheese.
- Remove pizza from oven, let cool. Slice and enjoy!
Watch this instructional video to learn how to make this delicious Deep Dish Pizza!